Thursday, September 17, 2020

Remote Access is Restored, Action Item, On Campus Access Lost, and an Adventure with Mosquitoes and Bikes

Dear LPTS community,

Thanks to Jill Sherman, I am delighted to share that remote access to the library’s databases, ebook collections, and resources is back. She has faithfully worked and pored over the logs and patron files to find and correct errors in years-old manual entries of user barcodes and passwords, literally one by one.  She’s already been reaching out to those when these corrections are made. 😊 

Action Item:  Please double check your remote access. You can click on one of these two links: Prof. Craigo-Snell’s Disciplined Hope or bell hooks Teaching to Transgress.  You will see a login screen. If you don’t know your 14-digit barcode and 4-digit password (usually the last 4 digits of your phone), please email library@lpts.edu. This allows us to track responses and Jill will respond. Thanks for your patience. 😊

On Campus Access: A day or two ago, we became aware of a new problem. From within the library and in campus buildings, access to the library’s electronic resources is not working as it should. Jill and I are working in tandem to get this resolved and I will keep you updated.   

A personal note: Last year, in August, I discerned my call to LPTS at a Companions of the Inner Way retreat at Zephyr Point, Lake Tahoe. Zephyr Point is a “thin place,” like LPTS 😊. In Oct. I came here for my on campus visit and accepted the call. On Jan. 6, Epiphany Day, two days after my birthday, I started work in the library. This is my first fall semester in Louisville. Well, the day after Labor Day holiday, I woke up wondering: Am I in hell? I was not only hot and humid but covered with itches and horrible bumps. No fever. I put it down to my usual allergies and tried to evaluate and eliminate the allergens. I also knew it wasn’t COVID19 as I had no fever, and got tested too, right?😊 This Monday, it was worse!!!  But the mystery was cleared up when I discovered from helpful neighbors that these are mosquito bites 😊. Apparently, Louisville has mosquitos, something I have completely forgotten about in my life in mostly beach cities!  To my credit, alerted by my reading a Scottish Highlands mystery, I was googling “midges.” Too funny 😊. Anyway, when I accepted the call to come here. Prof. Mayfield noted that the Louisville weather was more adventurous than So Cal. Oh, yes!

I also re-discovered the joy of biking this week. I am the delighted recipient of Sue Garrett’s bike and generosity of neighbors’ fixing it. I’ve had short but fun life giving rides these last two evenings. I am blessed. I pray you too are finding many blessings in all that life is right now.  

Peace and prayers,

Anita